Friday, January 27, 2006

To park or not to park

Something has got to be done about the parking situation. I can't live like this, like a beast, fighting with other beasts for the last piece of meat, the empty parking space. YOU, BYU, you've made us like this. We are sharks, idling dangerously in the aisles, waiting for a leaver, for a pair of legs to pass by on their way to a parked car. We wave at each other as we prowl, but then spit out curses when we see that much-hated spectacle: another car stopped in the aisle, with it's blinker on. The blinker is a territorial mark, a signpost, shouting MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE in perfect time. We have begun to pray for parking--yes, to include it in our intimate conversations with creation's Architect--is there no end to our debasement!? We are dogs! We are ashes. We are the living dead, those who circle, endlessly, to no end. To no purpose. To nowhere. To hell. To hell with parking. We are leaving. We will walk home. But we won't forget, oh no we will not fail to remember, when the alumni office calls....and asks....for cash. We are petty. We are proud. But we will smile.

5 comments:

Ming said...

I am laughing so hard right now. I love this post sososo much! I've never heard the parking dillema explained so eloquently in my life. Kudos to you my friend, kudos to you.

editorgirl said...

I find parking spaces. I'm telling you, prayers work, my friend. ;)

DawnTreader said...

I just fly in on my jetpack, wear it all day at class, then fly home when I'm done. No need to park.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, dt is "sooooo special" because he has a jet pack.

Pifsh. Jet Pack. Not all of us are rich enough to buy jet packs.

Hey, can I have a spin on your jet pack sometime?

DawnTreader said...

Even though you've scoffed my jetpack, I will give you a ride sometime because I pity you.