Saturday, November 19, 2005

He kicked the hell out of death.

One of the coolest lines. It just came at the perfect time in a perfect poem by James Dewey.

Reading on Friday now in the past. What fun. I think my favorite part was the "panel discussion" at the end where we sat up there and answered questions--questions that made it seem like we had way more experience and expertise than any of us could claim. But it was great. Sarah and James were articulate and mesmerizing. I think I did OK. I rushed it at the end. In some ways I think poetry is better suited for public readings. It seems more rooted in sound, and the immovable details of language. Not that prose can't be either of those things, maybe just not mine. Even I felt myself getting bogged down in some of the scenes, and I was reading them. I need to work on my delivery. A little more drama eh! That's the spirit.

So, out of 40 students in the two classes I teach, only one showed up. Wah wah wah (in descending pitch). So, I know I'll be giving out at least one A this semester.

After dining last night with DT, BruceJ, and Johnny B, I've decided that I have no qualms about spending my life as a professorial-type person. These guys have it easy. It was fun. Although I don't want him on my comittee, I would like to have DT in a bottle. I would pop it open anytime I needed a laugh. The patriarch of the English department is one giant, walking wisecrack. But he's got a definite tender spot too, especially for little humans.

Saturday calls.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was actually my least favorite line...hmmm. Funny on a personal note, like if you were reading his "private" rough draft, but not fitting for a publishable piece. Just my opinion. Besides that, James really wrote beautiful poetry.

And so do you...so...where's that love poem? Okay, I need to stop with that.

You were great. 9x9

editorgirl said...

When you were reading I was fascinated by how much your prose is influenced by your poetry. . . or vice versa. I personally really enjoyed it. And I want you to let me be your editor so that I can read the whole thing without butterflies in my stomach.

Ming said...

I have to disagree with Emily and agree with Joe. I liked that line. I think it has many levels and meanings to it and it was clever. I really enjoyed his entire last poem.
On another note I LOVED your readin Joe. I thought you did a great job and I was not bogged down once while you were reading. It really just made me want to read the entire book...now if only it were finished!