Monday, September 29, 2008

Real Space Age Technology

I tried posting this a while back but it didn't really fly (pardon the pun). I'll try again, because I think you'll see that:

a) We were so wonderfully naive in 1985. No one cared that video game graphics consisted of lots of right angles, and we could watch a commercial comparing a minivan to the space shuttle without a whole lot of irony. The future was a field of boundless possibilities!

b) There's no way anyone ever took a corner in an Aerostar going that fast. I know this. Our family owned two, and I turned 16 during the reign of the Blue One. (The Blue One was subsequently wrecked during a Nevada blizzard in January of 2002. I admit, I was at the wheel. My new bride was in the passenger seat, and my dear father was sleeping on the middle bench. The back was stuffed with stemware and small kitchen applicances. All humans and appliances survived swimmingly. I came three millimeters from having a screw in my skull. My dad bounced off the ceiling one time and tweaked his neck a bit. Thank you three-feet-deep gravel on the shoulder of eastbound I-80.)

I hope it works this time. Enjoy:

9 comments:

Sally said...

Did you notice the background music on this ad? This is a crackup. Thank you for posting.

Dolphinsbarn said...

This was the best Plicka post ever. Although, I like the slogan, "Aerostar: Nicer than a cruck, because it has more seats" the best.

(Not to mention that this is the second post in less than 5 days for you Plicka... did you contract some sort of terminal illness and recommit to Blogger?)

Joe said...

Oh, yes. I forgot to mention "The Age of Aquarius" and all that goes along with it. This is the age of the Aerostar, the age of the Aerostarrrrrrr . . .

No terminal illness, but maybe a terminal chillness. What?

DC Diva said...

Guess who's back? Plicka's back. Plicka's back, Plicka's back, Plicka's back, Plicka's back....

Great commercial. And I'm glad you and your stemware survived in the Aerostarrrrrr!

Lauren said...

Seeing that commercial make me want memories of owning one with my family. We always drove government castoffs purchased at auction.

David Grover said...

Joe, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

davers said...

Wow. That Aerostar ... it's so futuristic!

Which reminds me ... aren't we all supposed to be driving flying cars now? I want my flying car!

Somehow I think if the visionaries from the 1960's saw today they would be sorely disappointed.

And hey ... I resent the fact that everytime I post a comment the captcha phrase always comes up something like "puttz".

Robin said...

I am very glad you all survived the crash of 2002.

MOPL said...

We were so cool. I am grateful that you all were safe but oh....my aerostar:(