Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Praying with RJ

I know blogging about how cute your kids are is s000 cyber-provincial and so very easy, etc., etc., but this is an entry about how cute (and strange) my kids are, so turn back if you must:

We try to pray with RJ nightly. She has a way of praying now that makes me so happy. She hardly ever "asks" for anything or says "thank you," but she hears us doing that, and for now I think we feel like we just want to encourage this space of comfort she seems to have found inside the prayer. She just sort of talks . . . and talks . . . recounting her day, making exclamations ("And then tomorrow Grandma is coming to the airport!"), and issuing evaluations ("Mommy is sooooo nice." "Baby Joe was naughty 'cause he was screaming.").

She also fixates on things. Here is a nearly verbatim excerpt from the other night:

"Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for this day. Heavenly Father, the cake is all gone. We had it all gone! I want that we have some more, but we can't because it's all out. I wish it was still up. Yeah. We were sad. And we were crying. And we said, "The cake is all gone so mommy can make some more. Uhuh?'"

Really, we did have cake. And it was all gone (as far as she knew). But she really didn't make too big a deal of it at the time. And she didn't cry. But it's so incredible to see her try to interpret and order her experiences after the fact. It's like we get to see what's going on inside of that little head of hers, when asking her that question point blank usually brings mixed results. ("RJ, what are you thinking about?" "Ummmm.......doggies!")

So after listening to her go on about cake for almost a minute, I started to crack. Sometimes Em and I both have teeth marks on our arms from biting them so hard during prayer. This time, though, I snorted, in a muffled sort of way but she heard it and then started going on for another minute about how "Daddy is so funny, huh? He's a funny guy because he like to laugh, huh?" The implied third person in this kind of conversation is what touches me so. As if God is nodding his head and saying, "Yup, he sure is. And he's lucky you're around or I'd have offed him years ago."

Yeah. Cute.

Oh, and so is this guy:














12 comments:

Dolphinsbarn said...

Great post Joe. Nice to actually see you blog again, and what a topic... I can't even try to make fun of this one because it's so dern cute (and all I think about when I think of RJ is the telephone number on her arm). When are you guys coming to Colorado... actually, when are the KOS going to Vegas? We could see a show... maybe two shows... Ask RJ. She'll tell you all about it.

Emily said...

First--sidenote--"dolphinsbarn" photo looks like T. Thompson.

Second--she prayed about cake AGAIN tonight! And it has been a week. She also prayed that "if Mommy gets lost, she can just pray. Uhh?" and she did say "thanks for making the car work," since sometimes it doesn't start, but then after saying a prayer it does.

This is a great post--but it is sort of obvious I would think that--but really who wouldn't think so?

Sally said...

I loved this post. I love your description of how, hours or days later, you find out in a prayer what was meaningful to RJ. It's such an interesting perspective for a parent--those little revelations of thought.

I vote for more easy, cyber-provincial posts about les enfants.

Anonymous said...

You should blog often about your amazing children. I'm happy to hear all about them.

Lily prays in a similar but less mature way... We have her and Michael sharing a room and at bedtime he and I just say amen and shrug. Isn't it dear that they learn so early to pray anytime and anywhere.

Come see us in Maryland, then we'll come INVADE you. (seriously, strictly by numbers, when we go places it is an invasion.)

Robin said...

Ike's 11 year old prayer (the same every night. "Thanks for the nice day. Bless (insert family names here). Bless me that I will have a good night."

All said fast. Very fast.

More blogs please. I would like a mix of family ones and confusing ones (like the previous one). Jolly should guest post on your blog.

Dolphinsbarn said...

Remember how I'm 1/4 peeps on your blogroll? Makes me feel legit, son (as in, "It's deluxe son... it's not hat hard.") Now, Plicka... we need some new posts.

Dolphinsbarn said...

PS. I'm updating my blogroll, and tried to add jollyem.blogspot.com. It says it does not exist... True?

Robin said...

more daddy blogs please.

TURN IT UP TO 11 said...

Ruby is the coolest little cousin ever I can't wait to see her. But sadly I won't for awhile because you guys aren't coming to the cabin. We will miss you tonz! Not that we aren't already missing you. But we will miss you especially at the cabin! Tell RJ I said hi and give Joey a kiss for me. Love you guys!

Kristen said...

I loved reading this blog. It reminded me of when Rocky used to go on and on in his prayers. For months he would pray about how thankful he was "for the carpet, for how it is so soft, and clean. And it makes it soft for our feet to walk on. And it's warmer than the hard floor in the kitchen, and it looks nice when we vacuum it."

I love children's prayers. You should continue to record some of them in your journal and of course, your blog!

PS, you've been tagged. Read my blog to find out more.

Five Alive said...

Great post about RJ praying. It sure warms a parents heart when a child gets "prayer". Keep up the good work. The children are beautiful.

Les said...

Hi Joe,

Remember me? We are friends. I was click-wheeling through my iPod today and saw your name (Yes, I have some of your songs and you don't - my fault, can you give me one more shot at redemption?) and as I was listening to "Paralyzed" I thought to myself, what is Joe up to these days?

After a quick google and reading two mind blowing poems that were published in Insight (seriously, they are quite astounding) I came to this blog. I hope this is you, if not this is going to be the all time worst comment you've ever recieved.

So I don't know how to email you and this is the next best thing. Your and Emily's kids look amazing. I hope you are happy, and it sounds like you are. I would love to hear more about where you are, and how you are, and why I don't have a book of your poems in my man bag right now?

Les

lesmblake@gmail.com