Wednesday, December 14, 2005

dadadpfffffffffbfbfbfbfaaaahhh

I feel like laughing out loud, jumping over my couch, grinning like a maniac, and just generally wigging out. Why? Because it's past the witching hour, and I am still awake thanks to RJ and her nascent teeth. So I've been converting audio files to use on my final radio project that's due tomorrow and I'm all strung out on music, balancing on that strange tipping point between crying and shouting that makes my whole body feel electric and volatile. I could implode at any moment. I think I will take this opportunity to expound on something I've been thinking about lately: the Jimmy Buffet phenomenon.

Jimmy Buffet, the king of boat music, needs no introduction. We've all heard Margaritaville. But here's the deal...as a multi-platinum mainstream artist, JB has never even been nominated for a grammy; he is not a talented singer, he's not even badgood like a Dylan or Neil Young, he sounds like my dad singing around the campfire; his songwriting is often predictable and his guitar work not particularly noteworthy. Yet he has enjoyed steady success for the last 30 years, and maintaints a loyal following of "parrotheads," including myself. I don't know, there seems to be something about his straitforward approach, not hiding the fact that, on paper, his music is somewhat mediocre. Yet when it all comes together it just kind of makes you smile and nod your head. He sings about the middle-class America that most of us grew up in, decent folk who just want to put in their 8 hours, who know they should probably do more, who change diapers, clean the toilet, save their money, who cry during soup commercials, and fantasize about getting away.

When I was young my dad had JB's "Coconut Telegraph" album, and listened to it constantly for about a year. I can't listen to it now without seeing myself in our brown Aerostar minivan, trying to imagine myself as a character in one of Jimmy's grapefruit ballads, flying to paradise. He also sings about John Wayne dying, about getting old and breaking his leg playing baseball, about street sweepers who do their job (that one always makes me tear up), and about his daughter in a song called "Little Miss Magic." There is no end to the cheese, and no end to my appreciation for it. Maybe big doses are better than small ones. Anyway, I don't think many people will agree with me....but here's to Jimmy Buffet, minstrel of the common man.

I think next time I'm going to write about Bruce Hornsby, whose music could heal the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pifsh. Tear up? Yeah right. More like get all red in the face, chin quiver, and try to blink fast enough to not let any spill out.

This is one of the reasons why I love this man (Joe, not Jimmy).

xoxo,
wifey

Ming said...

Ahhh Jimmy Buffet...wait truthfully I've never listened to him. So how did your radio project turn out? Get it done? Did Ruby roo ever go to sleep? I'd like to relate here by saying that I never sleep either due to my childs incesent crying through the night, but we all know I don't have a child, just a dog. However said dog did chew up Jeff's Christmas present the other night, a wallet. I was very very angry and she got punished by spending the majority of the evening alone in her kennel locked away in a dark closet. Even once we let her out we made sure to ingnore her for the rest of the evening. I must admit it was hard to ignore her. She has a way of tugging on your heart strings, but I stood strong in order to teach her a lesson. I guess it taught me a lesson too, don't leave your dog home along with shiny presents under the Christmas tree...there pea size brains can't comprehend that the presents aren't for their chewing pleasure!

Ming said...

I used the wrong there once...whoops. I meant to say their pea size brains. Please don't hurt me english teacher man.